Unlimited Mopars
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for all Mopars

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How to make the cousin to the Power Wire

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
weedahoe

How to make the cousin to the Power Wire Empty
PostSubject: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 9:48 pm

Now for obvious reasons I cant use the name Power wire. But overall the does and serves the exact same purpose. Im am on DT, DF and HTC and so I try to spread this info around to help as many as I can.

If you want a PowerWire then it will cost you $55 new or $35-45 new.

I can help you make one for about $10 in material and here is what you will need and everything can be found at Radio Shack

1 pack of 4.7k 1/4watt resistors - $1
1 pack of heat shrink - $5
1 pack of insulated spades - $3
about 1ft of 18 ga wire
1/4"-3/8" wire loom

soldering gun/iron
solder and flux
crimp pliars
wire strippers

Now for those who do not know. The Power wire is nothing but a 4.7k resistor that tricks the PCM into thinking the incoming air temps are about 22* less than what they actually are. This has the simliar effect to running a 170/180* Tstat. People usually notice a slight more power at WOT as cruising speeds are not affected.

Pros v/s Cons

Pro to using a $55 power wire is that it is truely PnP. You simply disconnect the harness to your IAT sensor and plug one end into the sensor and the other end into the harness. Thats it. The Con is the $55 price that comes with it.

Pro to use the home made version is that its very cheap and does the exact same thing. The Con is that in order to use it you will have to cut ONE if the IAT harness wires and splice it in but more on this below.

Ok, so here we go. Take a resistor and solder a piece of wire about 2-3" long on each end. Then find the right size heat shrink over it and heat it with the iron or a lighter to seal it. Then strip back the ends of the wires and crimp two insulated male spades connectors on. Thats it, you now have your own home made "power wire".

Go out to your truck and pull back the tape or wire loom on your IAT sensor harness and cut only ONE of the two wires. It does not matter which one. Take two insulated female spades and crimp them on the wires after stripping them back. Then simply plug your home made power wire in and reset the PCM if you want to.

The wire loom goes over the wires to make it look seemless and OEM

Anyone not electrically inclined or doesnt want to but the tools if they dont have them are more than welcome to PM me or IM me and send me (via PP) what it cost to make and ship one and I will mail them one. I dont get rich on these and this entire idea is to help other guys out.

How to make the cousin to the Power Wire IMAGE_020
Back to top Go down
http://cid-fb87bd8396fbfbf4.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Truck?
ROKTMAN
ROKTMAN

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 9:53 pm

Nice write up.Good info...thankSS.
Back to top Go down
Oklahemi
Oklahemi

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 11:26 pm

ahh weed save me money to cost me money i love it. i will be doing this next week
Back to top Go down
Oklahemi
Oklahemi

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 1:24 am

got the list weed. going to the shak tomorrow. thanks again
Back to top Go down
weedahoe

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 7:03 am

no prob. Try to take some pics of yours when you are done. Also, if you have a tuner, chk the IAT numbers before and after and report those for everyone to see. It should be 22* +/- 2*.
Back to top Go down
Oklahemi
Oklahemi

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 1:31 pm

i have a hyper pac(performance automotive computer). it is like a tuner and digital gauges, dyno, 1/4 strip all in one and touch screen. the tune aren't as good as SC or Diablo but ill keep it around for the gauges. ill watch and report.
Back to top Go down
Oklahemi
Oklahemi

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 4:57 pm

ok so i did it. took about 30 mins. should have taken maybe ten but i couldn't find my wire crimpers and i had my 6 month old son helping. i watched the temps as i was driving home and the pics are from idling in my garage. i took the after about 45-50 mins after the first one. i had to feed my son. there was about a 20* drop. so here are some pics..

How to make the cousin to the Power Wire DSC_0001-1
How to make the cousin to the Power Wire DSC_0005-1
How to make the cousin to the Power Wire DSC_0007
Back to top Go down
rumblebee#2331
rumblebee#2331

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 5:17 pm

good to know
Back to top Go down
Oklahemi
Oklahemi

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 6:11 pm

yeah its about 75* now and as i was driving my IAT was reading 67* i reset my overhead for a initial gain on mpg. i ll do a hand and paper reading later
Back to top Go down
weedahoe

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 6:17 pm

Cool. Glad you got it on and showing some numbers. I did a long post on DT about this and gave all my numbers for 3 diff resistors and 4.k was the best and coincidentally what the real "Power Wire" uses anyway.

And all be told, how much did you really invest in material? $8-12? Thats nothing compared to the cost of $55.
Back to top Go down
Oklahemi
Oklahemi

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 12:04 am

i had the wire and connectors. so .99 for resistors. 3.00 for wire loom. a dollar and some change for shrink wrap. matbe 6.00 after taxes and i made five.
Back to top Go down
weedahoe

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 11:50 am

Well as you had noticed this caused a bit of an issue on DT. Im not trying to take away from any business or sponsor. This is simply a way to get the same effects for much less investment. Im not making these and selling them for any money. I have made a few and sold them to guys who didnt have the tools or knowledge to make one but they were sold for the cost of material and shipping. Nothing more and nothing less. I hope no one over hear gets rubbed the wrong way by putting this (what I thought to be common knowledge) out there.

Damn the internet, Ebay and Youtube......LOL
Back to top Go down
Oklahemi
Oklahemi

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 6:43 pm

screw him. this is something i never would have paid 55.00 or 35.00 for. you gave me the info so i could do it myself. thats the american way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to make the cousin to the Power Wire   How to make the cousin to the Power Wire Empty

Back to top Go down

How to make the cousin to the Power Wire
Page 1 of 1